Pet Health Alert! Antifreeze can poison your dog or cat

Many people are unaware that some common substances regularly found around the house and yard can seriously affect your dog's health. One of these is antifreeze. When you change your car's antifreeze you may inadvertently allow some spillage or your car can develop an antifreeze leak.

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol that is poisonous to dogs and cats. Just one teaspoon of ethylene glycol could be enough to kill a seven pound cat. Antifreeze is especially attractive to dogs that will lick it up quickly and ingest large amounts toxic to their body system.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning usually show up within 12 hours. The time frame depends on how much the dog ingested. Symptoms include vomiting, depression and general lethargy. Cats die more often than dogs when they ingest antifreeze.

To survive, your pet must be treated very quickly. Dogs require treatment within eight hours. Cats need treatment in four hours. So, if you see the symptoms do not hesitate to take action.

The ASPCA now has a new service providing pre-recorded information on more than 125 pet care topics, including health issues and behavioral problems: 1-888-252-7387 (24hrs)

Greg Cryns

photo source